What is Cloud Asset Management and why do you need it?
Over the last decade, most organizations moved to the cloud in order to scale up their services rapidly. As these organizations grow and scale-up in size, the usage of the shared pool of computing resources on the cloud also increases proportionally. Now there are certain laws that come with the adoption of the cloud. It is important for these organizations to know the impact of these laws and follow a risk-based approach to comply with them. Hence cloud audits and compliance become crucial.
Compliance mandates make the job of Engineering Managers hard.
During compliance & audit checks, DevOps engineers have to manually create the list of resources across all cloud services. This takes a lot of their time and effort as clean and accurate information is the basic fundamental priority of all compliance requirements.
To bring out this accurate information, it becomes challenging for engineering managers who are responsible for overseeing Cloud Infrastructure involving various cloud providers, accounts, etc., to check out and share their details of infrastructure architecture and cost for services/resources. This is because of the distribution of infrastructure details amongst multiple platforms i.e different pages of the same cloud providers, for example, EC2 Instances, RDS Instances, etc.
We have built Cloud Asset Management as a solution to this problem. Cloud Asset Management delivers visibility and control across all the assets and infrastructure. It enables your business to effectively keep ‘track’ of your cloud resources while maintaining the smooth-running of your cloud infrastructure and pass audits and achieve any compliance requirements in a much easier way.
Building blocks of Cloud Asset Management?
We have made an all-in-one solution that provides a collective view of cloud resources and their meta-information involving lifecycle policies, creation dates, VPC information, costs, owner information, subnet information, etc. There are too many resources and the information is spread out over different pages. In order to collect clean and accurate information for compliance requirements, engineers have to manually analyze the resources. This is very time-consuming, Cloud Asset Management simplifies this process by providing a portrait view of cloud resources spread across the entire cloud ecosystem.
You get detailed access to data and improved analysis and reporting. Analyzed data is automatically generated and is idle for presentation, eliminating all the manual hours spent behind it.
Engineering Managers can view and analyze all their resource level costs with an intuitive UI. They can see cost metrics of various resources/services at different levels of the infrastructure and can share the information (CSV + UI) with team members with a single click.
CAM gives clarity on what you have as assets, where they are, who has access, their costs, and usage information.
Current Benefits of Cloud Asset Management to DevOps and SecOps Engineers and Engineering teams:
Powerful and easy to use platform that:
- Helps the users find the balance between risk and achieving compliance as it completely documents all IT assets across your infrastructure deployment.
- Provides a complete end-to-end view of your cloud ecosystem. As a result, you can solve more problems in less time with better efficiency.
- Overcome the limitations of native cloud solutions by identifying, monitoring, and verifying all assets in your cloud environment in one place. This enables better cost control.
- Easily create Powerful and customizable reports supporting IT audits.
- Easily maintain an ecosystem focused on security and best practices.
Where are we going with it?
- We have built an effective software solution that reduces the time and effort required for managing assets on AWS. Now we are moving towards building a single cloud asset management platform for all cloud providers from AWS, GCP, or Microsoft Azure at once i.e.; Unified Inventory Management System for Multi-Cloud.
- The cost trends and meta information of all the resources from different cloud platforms can be accessed in one place with a centralized view. You get access to information that perfectly showcases what is in your environment.
- On top of that, we are working on building an Architectural Mapping that shows the link between all the resources. Through this architectural mapping, users can easily identify and track connections between the resource components, their relationships, and inter-dependencies.
- Accurate and auto-generated reports provide all-time access to the architecture that helps you visualize the service connections between the resources.
- It will be a tracking software that gives users the ability to track the relationship between assets and see a clear map of operational dependencies.
- We are also working on the additional capability of change management where users can manage, track and view the changes happening to the resources ensuring your inventory is up-to-date.
You would be able to track the entire lifecycle of your assets from the purchase to their day of withdrawal.
How can you get started with Cloud Asset Management?
Cloud Asset Management is a strong software solution that helps you discover your cloud resources. With the coming Unified Inventory Management System for Multi-Cloud and Architectural Mapping for linked resources, we have a motive to be the all-in-one solution for our customers.
If you want to try Cloud Asset Management, just schedule a demo with us and we will give you a complete walkthrough of it and tell you more about how it can benefit your organization.
If you like it, it will be up and running in your environment within 48 hours of you signing up with us. Feel free to contact us for other DevOps-related queries at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will be ready with more DevOps magic in the coming weeks so do come back when you get the time!